Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Why can't they live by what they profess to believe?

'Dr. Dino' convicted in Florida tax fraud trial

It's curious to me that all of these supposed religious, moral leaders keep going down for living lives directly opposite from what they say they believe, and what they try to force on others. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some "out" fundamentally built into Christianity that allows for this. It seems to me that if you believe in the idea of Jesus as a savior, and that you can do anything in this life as long as you accept that belief, and ask for his forgiveness, you are completely punting any responsibilty to live by the beliefs you claim. You can lie, cheat, steal, harm your fellow man, and all of your corrupt morality won't matter in the long run because Christ died for you, and if you believe that - you're 'in'.

What kind of bullshit is that, really? I believe in the Golden Rule. I don't have to believe in God or force my idea of "true" religion on anyone to live by that. I truly believe accountability to your fellow man is a far greater a standard than accountability to a belief system not universally shared. I really wish fundamentalists would stop trying to mandate a morality for the rest of us they themselves seem incapable of living by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home