Tuesday, November 21, 2006

They do this...really?

I was reading that Spkr. Pelosi is considering a bill to provide severance pay to House staffers that are losing their jobs because their bosses were voted out. The piece I was reading indicates that it was something the GOP didn't do for Dems back in 1994. Which indicates to me that it's something that is normally done as a regular course of action.

Really? Isn't working in such jobs assuming the risk of losing your job because of politics? This just seems crazy to me, I have sympathy for those that are losing their jobs, but also I can't help but notice that nothing's in session most of the time and presumably they're paid between the election and when the new Congress goes into session. I don't begrudge them some time at the office working on their job search, but severance? Really? Severance?

This just seems to be one of the tiny little parts of politics where it becomes so apparent that priorities revolve around personal and party power, and has relatively less to do with the fact these people are elected to do a job for the citizens, not to spend the citizen's money on things that help them politically.

Severance? Really? Do the congresspeople themselves get severance?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home