Sunday, October 08, 2006

What Everyone Is Thinking

1. I don't understand how any gay man or woman can be a Republican. I just don't get it. Oh, I realize there's some compartmentalizing and shame and probably self-loathing going on. But for what?

No, seriously. "I support my party's intolerance for me because ______."

How do you fill in that blank? Ever?


2. Gay does not mean pedophile. Gay men and women are no more likely to be sexually attracted to children than straight men and women. Conflating the two is factually inaccurate and morally wrong. (Oooh. A liberal used the term "moral" - imagine!)


3. This has nothing to do with Clinton. At all. Not even a little bit. And stop labeling me as a hypocrite for so saying.
  • I believe that what people do in their private lives, and in their sex lives especially, is their own business. It is not for the government to interfere unless someone's behavior is illegal or causing harm to others.

  • I don't care what politicians do in their private lives, either, so long as it isn't illegal and doesn't adversely affect their ability to govern.

  • What Clinton did with Monica was not illegal. Sex with a consenting adult is not the same thing as sex with a minor, regardless of circumstance. "Excusing" Clinton's behavior and "not excusing" Foley's behavior is not inconsistent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what clinton did with monica was not illegal. however, lying about it in front of a grand jury was. and looking at the american people and telling us he did not have sexual relations with that woman, was, well, pretty fucking gutless. spoken by a truly gutless man.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a little more complex than that. Maybe he was gutless (as gutless as every other person who lies about infidelity), or maybe he was trying to stop the discussion about his sex life so he--and the rest of the country--could focus on issues that were relevant to more than 4 people (Bill, Hillary, Chelsea, and Monica). Or maybe he was trying to keep a private matter private in order not to humiliate his wife and daughter. Or maybe he was doing what his lawyers and political cronies were pressuring him to do. Maybe it was a little of all of that.

I don't care that he lied. I care that the Republicans forced the country to spend a few years fixated on something that did not affect anyone but the Clintons and Monica. I care that they preferred to do that rather than do anything CONSTRUCTIVE.

I am still angry with Clinton for having an affair while he was in office because he had to have known what he was risking -- the ability to govern effectively. It was not a surprise that the Republicans latched on and would not let go. He knew what he was risking and did it anyway. I am still disgusted and furious with him for that. He squandered an opportunity that the Democrats have had only twice in 26 years.

I'd call it arrogant and reckless more than gutless.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home